Tuesday, October 2, 2012

IF...












IF only....


IF I knew then...

IF you had...



IF we tried.....


IF.



Somehow.. The word "If" on its own, seems to suggest wistfulness. Regret. Longing for something that is past.

An interesting Christian commentary on the word "if" can be found
here


For a long time.. One of my fave poems was "If you forget me" by Pablo Neruda.

Even though it speaks of longing.. it speaks of a love that is conditional.


Well, now, 

if little by little you stop loving me 
I shall stop loving you little by little. 



If suddenly 
you forget me 
do not look for me, 
for I shall already have forgotten you. 

And yet, it is not conditional.. willingly. Because the writers true intentions, are to run freely with his love. To let go.

But 
if each day, 
each hour, 
you feel that you are destined for me 
with implacable sweetness, 
if each day a flower 
climbs up to your lips to seek me, 
ah my love, ah my own, 
in me all that fire is repeated, 
in me nothing is extinguished or forgotten, 
my love feeds on your love, beloved, 
and as long as you live it will be in your arms 
without leaving mine. 

My love feeds on you love beloved.
If.
A love based on fear. Fear that the love will not see reciprocation.

Yesterday though, a dear friend and I were having a long conversation, and he reminded me of a poem that I haven't seen since I was 18.

A beautiful, beautiful didactic poem written by Rudyard Kipling.

In it, "IF", becomes something beautiful. Something powerful. Something filled with potential and promise.
Something, that come become truly mighty.

So thank you...

For sharing this "If" with me. 










Because you made me believe in the beauty of "If".

=)

No comments:

Post a Comment